Website Seattle Country Day School
Seattle Country Day School (SCDS) is an independent school that serves more than 400 gifted students, grades K–8, on a 2.4-acre campus on the north slope of Queen Anne Hill in Seattle, Washington.
At SCDS, we know gifted children can be intense, verbal, and imaginative; we also know that gifted children come from every community, every race, and every socioeconomic class. At SCDS, our students find a warm, welcoming classroom, one based around the concept of inquiry, a method where teachers encourage students to explore, to ask questions, to experiment, and to create. The school also prioritizes social-emotional learning, which is informed by diversity, equity, and inclusion concepts. This attention to the whole child, and to the world they live in, stimulates children’s intellect and imagination and helps foster qualities such as flexibility, empathy, integrity, and compassion.
In our work and in our hiring processes, SCDS is guided by a multi-year strategic plan that focuses on two interconnected priorities: retaining and attracting excellent faculty, especially faculty of color, and increasing the racial and socioeconomic diversity and inclusivity of our school.
SCDS is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at SCDS are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship, veteran, military, or marital status, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression/identity, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), or any other status protected by applicable law. SCDS will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
We encourage everyone who is interested in this position to apply.
Qualifications for the Position
The intermediate school head should have a deep understanding of the mission of the school and a clear vision of excellence in education at the intermediate school level, and also be able to articulate Seattle Country Day School’s mission, core values, program, and culture to prospective families, as well as represent the school to all constituents. A minimum of 5 years administrative experience in an educational setting, including oversight and evaluation of academic programs and faculty supervision are expected, other commensurate experience may be considered. The Intermediate School Head should provide leadership to fourth and fifth grade teachers, students and families. A minimum of a master’s degree is required as is classroom teaching experience. Excellent interpersonal skills are required. The intermediate school head must also have excellent written and oral communication skills and be able to organize and prioritize a complex and dynamic set of activities. The successful candidate will have an outstanding academic background, relevant supervisory experience, knowledge of the cognitive and emotional development of gifted children, knowledge of curriculum design and modification for gifted students.
The intermediate school head is responsible for all aspects of the intermediate school program. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Students and the intermediate school program
– Oversee the academic program including monitoring and communicating student academic progress, the reporting process, and parent conferences;
– Create and maintain intermediate school class schedule, and work with other division heads to coordinate a master schedule;
– Facilitate the implementation of the SCDS mission and philosophy in terms of student academic, social, and emotional development;
– Oversee student life issues, local field trips, attend 2 to 3 day overnight trips;
– Attend parent conferences and other parent meetings as necessary;
– Other duties as assigned.
Faculty leadership and supervision
– Articulate division philosophy and goals;
– Facilitate professional growth and communication among the intermediate school faculty;
– Understand and articulate inquiry teaching/learning methodology;
– Visit classrooms and provide regular feedback to faculty. Provide written feedback in the form of an evaluation on a regular basis;
– Establish supportive relationships with faculty, provide coaching and mentoring for division members who are new or otherwise in need of assistance;
– Other duties as assigned.
– Provide general planning and management of the intermediate school division, including oversight of the academic program, the day-to-day class and activity schedule, special events and student behavior issues;
– Plan and facilitate intermediate school faculty meetings;
– Understand and articulate the mission and core values of Seattle Country Day School in a variety of professional settings;
Intermediate school division head Job Description Page 2
– Assist the head of school and chief financial officer in carrying out school policies, budgets, and business practices;
– Assist in the recruitment and hiring of intermediate school faculty;
– Communicate with intermediate school families and the SCDS community-at-large regarding intermediate school activities, events, and other issues;
– Participate in and assist with the implementation of the Winterim program;
– Attend meetings with other members of the senior leadership team;
– Work with the admissions director throughout the admissions process including evaluating candidates and participating in enrollment decision making;
– Other duties as assigned.
This position is full-time and based on a 12-month schedule. Flexibility and availability to work hours outside of the regular school day are required.
SCDS offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The salary range for this position is $125,000-$175,000. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance and long-term disability, generous retirement plan, and section 125 plan.
Applicants should download an application from seattlecountryday.org/about-scds/employment. Submit this completed application, a letter of interest, and a resumé with references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job please visit seattlecountryday.org.