Website Open Window School
For gifted kids who love to learn
Lower School Associate Teacher
Open Window School nurtures and inspires students of high intellectual potential.
Open Window School (K-8, coed, 358 student day school) is seeking highly qualified candidates for its Lower School Associate Teacher position.
Open Window is dedicated to serving gifted students. With a strong commitment to social-emotional learning, these exceptional young people are nurtured and inspired in both their academic and personal growth. Parents/guardians and students alike are quick to point out the strength in the faculty and the close relationships Open Window teachers forge with their students. Open Window students have true enthusiasm for deep and accelerated learning, with an emphasis on project-based initiatives with real world application. Innovation and risk taking are encouraged within a supportive environment. Open Window School graduates are empathetic, academically well-prepared, innovative problem solvers, purposeful global citizens with a commitment to equity and inclusion. This is a place where it is cool to be smart and the expectation is that our students will graduate and make a difference in high school and beyond.
Located on a beautiful campus in Bellevue, Washington, 10 miles from the center of downtown Seattle, Open Window benefits from its unique location; it is surrounded by woods right in the middle of one of the fastest growing metro populations in the country. The school enjoys a robust and growing pipeline of students which will continue to drive demand for the type of rich educational experience guided by Open Window’s mission and values.
Open Window School Associate Teachers work with experienced Lead Teachers to support our students as they cultivate their love of learning. This job requires energy, patience, empathy, flexibility, initiative, the ability to collaborate and a commitment to teamwork. Successful Associate Teachers must be able to navigate lower school classrooms (smaller student chairs/tables, floor-based activities, etc.), actively work outside in various kinds of weather, maintain regular attendance, be punctual, and dependable.
Many of our Associate Teachers stay with Open Window School for 2-3 years before pursuing a lead teaching opportunity, returning to school for a graduate program, or moving overseas to teach internationally. We understand that this position could be your stepping stone on your way to a successful teaching career. Open Window is excited to have exceptional candidates who enrich our school and endeavor in return to provide practical and unique experiences in gifted education that will enhance your long-term career goals.
Major Areas of Responsibility/Specific Duties:
- Build students’ confidence and self-esteem as you come to know them as learners and individuals
- Practice and model respect for individual differences, learning styles and rates of learning
- Encourage the development of shared community values, such as honesty, kindness and respect
- Maintain a cordial, flexible, and professional relationship with colleagues and parents
- Strong math and reading skills to help support children’s learning in the classroom
- Technology skills to help with organization, publishing student work, developing curricular materials, conducting research, etc.
- Working with students in small groups and in one-on-one settings providing authentic, differentiated learning experiences that build essential academic skills for each student
- Providing and preparing instruction for multiple levels of mathematics to small or large groups of students
- Supervising the playground, implementing recess rules and discipline
- Providing timely feedback to lead teacher concerning students’ social, emotional, behavioral, and academic progress
- Reviewing, commenting, and grading student work accurately, professionally and in a timely manner
- Assisting with administrative responsibilities (photocopying, mounting displays, filing student work, etc.)
- Taking initiative with the tasks that keep a classroom running smoothly
- Attending class daytime field trips; 4th grade Associate Teachers are also asked to attend overnight trips
- Attending required in service days, meetings, seminars and training sessions
- Attending and participating in school events, sometimes in the evening
- Assuming the Lead Teacher role when necessary
- Assisting with applicant visits on selected weekend days
- Maintaining a high level of professionalism and confidentiality
- Engaging in self-assessment and working toward professional goals
Qualities & Qualifications:
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree and/or relevant experience
- Experience working with elementary school students, preferably in a classroom setting
- An interest in the social-emotional development of children
- Supportive of the school’s Diversity Commitment, in which we embrace both our commonalities and complex range of differences that enrich our school
- Dedication to our mission, in which we inspire and nurture students of high intellectual potential and to promoting our core values: Bobcats are Kind, Inclusive, Respectful and Responsible.
- Ability to work independently, collegially, and collaboratively. Positive team member.
- Demonstrate a warm, engaging demeanor towards families, colleagues, and public.
- Experience with intellectually gifted children a plus
- Teaching certificate or coursework relevant to child development or education a plus
Before School Program:
Associate Teachers supervise one day per week during the school year. They may also be asked to cover for an absent coworker. The before school program begins at 7:15 AM. The before/after school program is an important part of the students’ day and provides an opportunity to work with a broader age range of students.
Start Date: as soon as possible
Manager: Director of Lower School
Compensation: $45,280 per year (see the Open Window School Associate Teacher Salary Schedule for additional information)
Position Classification: Exempt, Full Time (10 month school year), benefit eligible
Hours: 8am – 4pm, 5pm on Tuesdays (not including Before Care). Occasional weekend and evening work required.
- Sick leave
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (paid 100% for employee only coverage)
- Employer paid Health Reimbursement Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- 403(b) Retirement Account, Pre-tax & Roth Options (eligible for employer contribution and employer match after one year of service).
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Professional development and training opportunities
Please submit a cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for this position, your resume, and answers to the Diversity Commitment Questions below on our Career Opportunities website. Applicants must submit an answer to both of the following Diversity Commitment Questions as a single word or pdf document:
How would you define diversity?
Describe how you have demonstrated a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in your current or prior job. If necessary, candidates can draw upon their experience in community organizations if professional experience is limited.
Please be prepared to provide 3-5 professional references and one personal reference if requested. If you are unable to apply online, you are welcome to fax your resume, cover letter, and answers to the Diversity Commitment Questions to 425-644-6320.
Open Window School does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, color, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national or ethnic origin, or other status legally protected by local, state, or federal law.