Website Open Window School
For gifted kids who love to learn
Middle School Substitute Science Teacher
Open Window School is welcoming applications for a Substitute Science Teacher to join the science team as a long-term sub from March through June of the 2023-24 school year. Join a collaborative team of innovative and dynamic science educators who are dedicated to meaningful science learning, have an understanding of and appreciation for the middle school years and a commitment to culturally responsive, anti-bias, and anti-racist teaching practices.
The Open Window School academic program is hands-on, with an emphasis on curriculum that is relevant and responsive. We focus on real work that matters and integrate the curriculum with other disciplines, field trips, and Hallmark Trip experiences offered every year. All of these experiences are included in tuition. We believe our students will make a real difference in the world, and their experiences here lay that foundation.
This temporary full-time position will serve as an advisor and be a member of a grade-level and department team. Other responsibilities include participation in weekly department and/or faculty meetings and attendance at some evening, weekend, and overnight activities. All teachers in middle school actively participate in student clubs, leadership groups and other community activities as an integral part of our middle school culture.
Major Areas of Responsibility/Specific Duties:
- Develop and teach inspiring and relevant science courses with a focus on the scientific process and hands-on, experiential learning.
- Collaborate with the science team.
- Seek out opportunities to collaborate with teachers in other disciplines.
- Maintain a safe and engaging learning environment.
- Communicate proactively and professionally with colleagues, administrators, and parents/guardians.
- Attend weekly faculty meetings and other required meetings and obligations.
- Active participation in middle school community activities.
- Other school-related responsibilities as assigned.
Qualities & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Commitment to collaborating with colleagues as part of a robust and diverse science program.
- Dedication to the social-emotional development of students during middle school years.
- Teaching certificate or relevant coursework preferred.
- Experience in gifted education is a plus.
- Experience with project based learning is a plus.
- Excellent cultural competency, willing and able to excel to work with multiple groups of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrate a warm, engaging demeanor towards families, colleagues, and public.
- Supports our mission statement to nurture and inspire students of high intellectual potential.
Manager: Director of the Middle School
Compensation: $60,660 – $113,040 (based on education and experience)
Position Classification: Exempt, Full Time; Temporary; this position is benefit eligible
Hours: 8am – 4pm, Tuesdays until 5pm. This role requires some commitments outside these hours including, but not limited to school events and Middle School Trips.
- Sick leave
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (paid 100% for employee only coverage)
- Voluntary Vision Insurance
Please submit a cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for this position, your resume, and answers to the Diversity Commitment Questions below on our Career Opportunities website. Applicants must submit an answer to both of the following Diversity Commitment Questions:
- How would you define diversity?
- Describe how you have demonstrated a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in your current or prior job. If necessary, candidates can draw upon their experience in community organizations if professional experience is limited.
Please be prepared to provide 3-5 professional references and one personal reference if requested. If you are unable to apply online, you are welcome to fax your resume, cover letter, and answers to the Diversity Commitment Questions to 425-644-6320.
Open Window School does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, color, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national or ethnic origin, or other status legally protected by local, state, or federal law.
Participate in the 2024 Diversity Career Fair hosted by POCIS Seattle
Virtual: Sunday, February 4, 2024, 9am-12pm PST on Zoom
In-Person: Saturday, March 9, 2024, 9am-12pm
For more information and to register visit Diversity Career Fair
To apply for this job please visit www.openwindowschool.org.