Learning by Design
UCDS is a 501(c)3 nonprofit educational hub—a dynamic learning environment for students and teachers alike, located in Seattle’s University District. The UCDS Resident Teacher Program provides an excellent opportunity for new teachers to work and learn alongside experienced teachers in an Infant-Toddler classroom. Mentorship, reflective practice, and targeted professional development workshops enable Resident Teachers to develop an in-depth understanding of student learning, responsive teaching, and curriculum design.
Resident Teachers join the faculty in mid-August and are employed throughout the school year, ending in mid-June. From the very first day, Resident Teachers take on the responsibilities of a full faculty member. Residents are fully immersed in classroom teaching; contribute to planning, preparing, discussing, and implementing curriculum with their grade-level teaching teams; serve on faculty committees, and participate in school-wide activities.
Learn more about the Resident Teacher Program here.
Resident Teachers Can Expect
- Mentoring from experienced teachers in multi-age classrooms
- Practice with classroom and small group teaching
- Both collaborative and independent
- Collaborative curriculum design in partnership with a grade-level teaching team
- Formal and informal planning meetings take place during and after school hours throughout the week
- Recess and Lunch duties (provide Residents with practice facilitating Social Emotional Learning)
- To support school-wide equity initiatives
- Teaching in Quiet Start (before-school care)
- Supporting students in after-school homework club or leading other interest-based clubs (additional income opportunity)
- Regular professional development workshops
During their 10 months, Resident Teachers can apply to continue with the program for a second year, allowing them the opportunity to further develop their teaching skills and a chance to work with a new grade level.
We strongly encourage members of marginalized communities, including Black, Indigenous, and people of color, as well as members of other underrepresented groups, to apply for the Resident Program and become a part of our commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive educational environment.
The UCDS Resident Teacher Program is an outstanding experience for new teachers at the beginning of their careers or professionals looking to switch fields to education.
Resident Teachers at UCDS:
- Have a minimum degree of BA or BS
- Are passionate about education
- Are collaborative/team players
- Exhibit a strong work ethic
- Are flexible and engaged
- Have a LOVE of learning
August 12, 2024 (position continues through mid-June 2025)
Compensation & Benefits
- This is a full-time position that includes a competitive $4,600/monthly salary
- Includes full benefits package for the school year (September-June)
How to Apply
To be considered for the 2024-2025 Resident Teacher Cohort, visit our website to submit a resume and a cover letter.
Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered. Positions will be offered on a rolling basis until all spaces for the 2024-25 Resident Cohort have been filled (typically by mid-April).
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com