Website University Prep
Reports to: Director of the Middle School
FT/PT/R/T: Full-Time Regular, Academic Year
University Prep (UPrep) is seeking a talented, engaging, and compassionate Middle School English Teacher for the 24-25 academic year. We are looking for staff and faculty who share our belief that a culturally rich and inclusive school community provides students with the best possible environment for a quality education. We need a leader who understands best practices in teaching English and thrives on working independently as well as part of a team. If that sounds like you, we’d like to hear from you.
Who We Are:
UPrep is a 6–12 independent school in northeast Seattle, WA, one of the country’s most dynamic cities. We offer an intellectually rich education that fosters deep inquiry and critical thinking that is powered by student engagement. Our students graduate prepared for college and life. UPrep is a strong and vibrant community of students, families, faculty, staff, and alumni that joins together to support our students in becoming caring and productive adults. UPrep is a place where all students and families have equitable access to all the school has to offer, and we aspire for all community members to feel like they belong. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are embodied in all facets of our school culture. We believe that our shared values of integrity, respect, and responsibility are essential to accomplish our mission to develop each student’s potential to become an intellectually courageous, socially responsible citizen of the world.
Under minimal supervision, teaches four sections of Middle School English each semester. May teach interdisciplinary courses with members in other departments. Serves on one of the Middle School advisor teams.
- Teaches four sections of Middle School English
- Serves as a Middle School Advisor
- Participates in Middle School curricular team
- Actively participates in the life of the school outside the classroom
- Vigorously engages in their own professional development
- Establishes and cultivates community relations by maintaining open dialogue with all of the school’s constituencies
- Is familiar with and complies with all policies and regulations as put forth in the school’s documents
- Since safety and security are everyone’s responsibility, takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, faculty, staff, equipment, materials, and facilities
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in English or a related field from a four-year college or university required
- Master’s degree in English or a related field preferred
- Teaching certification preferred
- 5+ years of successful teaching experience in a Middle School environment preferred
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Competence in the content area and pedagogy for Middle School
- Good understanding of the developmental needs of Middle School students
- Flexibility and adaptability to meet the needs of the students and program
- Energy and enthusiasm and ability to hold students and oneself to high expectations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work with students from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to create an active learning environment that supports understanding, passion and creativity in students
- Ability to prepare lessons to appeal to a variety of learning styles, needs and accommodations
- Ability to use formative assessments and strategies in the classroom
- Deep interest in being part of a community as a colleague and grade-level team member
- Experience being part of a curricular and co-curricular team preferred
- Educational leadership experience (team leader, department head, grade-level coordinator) preferred
- Ability to work and communicate well with all levels of faculty and staff
- Ability to work and communicate well with students and their parents
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Flexibility, maturity, and a sense of humor
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
- Ability to work efficiently in a Microsoft Windows or Mac environment using Office, master common automated systems for record keeping, and learn new technology
- Comfortable with operating Audio/Visual equipment
- Ability and interest in coaching and/or working in our outdoor program is a plus
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary range is $61,102 – $111,089 based on education and years of experience. UPrep offers a comprehensive and generous benefits package intended to support and promote the health and well-being, work/life balance, and financial security of our faculty, staff, and their families. Benefits are listed on our careers page and include: Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance, Employer-Seeded Health Savings Account or Health Reimbursement Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employer-Paid Long-Term Disability Insurance, Employee Assistance Program, Employer-Paid Life Insurance, Voluntary Life Insurance, 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with employer contribution and match after one year of service, Paid Time Off, Paid Parental Leave after one year of service, and Professional Development opportunities.
Please apply directly on our website. Position open until filled. No phone calls or drop-ins please.
University Prep does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, creed, age, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran’s status, disability, use of a trained service animal, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to admissions and administration of all its programs, as well as to all areas of employment.