Website University Prep
Reports to: Director of Upper School
FT/PT/R/T: FT, Regular, Academic Year
University Prep (UPrep) is seeking a talented, engaging, and compassionate Upper School Math Teacher (grades 9-12) for the 24-25 academic year. We look for staff and faculty who share our belief that a culturally rich and inclusive school community provides students with the best possible environment for a quality education. We need a leader who understands best practices in teaching Math and thrives on working independently as well as part of a team. If that sounds like you, we’d like to hear from you.
Who We Are:
UPrep is a 6–12 independent school in northeast Seattle, WA, one of the country’s most dynamic cities. We offer an intellectually rich education that fosters deep inquiry and critical thinking that is powered by student engagement. Our students graduate prepared for college and life. UPrep is a strong and vibrant community of students, families, faculty, staff, and alumni that joins together to support our students in becoming caring and productive adults. UPrep is a place where all students and families have equitable access to all the school has to offer, and we aspire for all community members to feel like they belong. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are embodied in all facets of our school culture. We believe that our shared values of integrity, respect, and responsibility are essential to accomplish our mission to develop each student’s potential to become an intellectually courageous, socially responsible citizen of the world.
Under minimal supervision, teaches at least four sections of Upper School math (grades 9-12). Works collaboratively and cooperatively with other members of the Upper School faculty and staff. Serves as an Upper School advisor and actively participates in the life of the school outside of classroom teaching responsibilities. Teaches additional elective courses in Math as appropriate.
- Teaches four sections of Upper School math, Geometry through Calculus, including Statistics, with the possibility of teaching advanced math classes
- Uses formative teaching and assessment methods
- Engages in ongoing collaboration with colleagues on lesson planning, grading, assessments and other department-based work to enhance student learning and department culture
- Communicates consistently and in a timely manner with students, colleagues and families
- Maintains organized and timely system for creation of lessons and assessments and for grading
- Serves as a grade-level advisor for a grade-level team for 10-12 Upper School students
- Actively participates in the life of the school outside the classroom as a coach or club advisor
- Vigorously engages in their own professional development
- Is familiar with and complies with all policies and regulations as put forth in the school’s documents
- Since safety and security are everyone’s responsibility, takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, faculty, staff, equipment, materials and facilities
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Math or a related field from a four-year college or university required
- Master’s degree in Math or a related field preferred
- 3+ years of successful teaching experience in an Upper School environment preferred
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Competence in the content area and pedagogy specific to the developmental needs of High School-aged students
- An understanding of and commitment to the school’s mission
- A talent for teaching as an art
- A commitment to student-centered education and inclusive classroom practices
- Demonstrates a growth mindset and openness to feedback
- Flexibility and adaptability to meet the needs of the students and program
- Ability to create an active learning environment that supports understanding, passion, and creativity
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill to work with students from diverse background
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill in preparing lesson to appeal to a variety of learning styles, needs, and accommodations
- Demonstrates skill to use appropriate formative and summative assessments and strategies in the classroom
- Commitment to teaching the whole child
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with all constituents in the school community
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
- Flexibility, maturity, and a sense of humor
- Ability and flexibility to use Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, learning management systems, online meeting and conferencing applications, and operating Audio/Visual equipment
- Interest in coaching sports and/or working in our outdoor program is preferable
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary range is $61,102 – $111,089 based on education and years of experience. UPrep offers a comprehensive and generous benefits package intended to support and promote the health and well-being, work/life balance, and financial security of our faculty, staff, and their families. Benefits are listed on our careers page and include: Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance, Employer-Seeded Health Savings Account or Health Reimbursement Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employer-Paid Long-Term Disability Insurance, Employee Assistance Program, Employer-Paid Life Insurance, Voluntary Life Insurance, 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with employer contribution and match after one year of service, Paid Time Off, Paid Parental Leave after one year of service, and Professional Development opportunities.
Please apply directly on our website. Position open until filled. No phone calls or drop-ins please.
University Prep does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, creed, age, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran’s status, disability, use of a trained service animal, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to admissions and administration of all its programs, as well as to all areas of employment.
To apply for this job please visit www.paycomonline.net.